Nowadays, we are all aware of the dangers of sitting and its impact on our health. Several studies indicate that people who sit for 8-10 hours a day are at an increased risk of cancer, heart illnesses, and early death.
However, the majority of office workers have no choice. They are made to sit for most of their day, taking short breaks whenever possible. In such a situation, Investing a good quality standing desk could prove beneficial for the health and well being of your entire workplace.
Movement, while you work, is good for you and at Progressive Desk we believe in the cause to move in order to stay productive, energized and healthy. In this blog, we will take a look at ta few exercises one can do while using a standing desk.
What are Standing Desks
These desks appeared not so long ago, but today, they are becoming more and more popular. It is also called a stand-up desk since it allows you to stand up and work comfortably. Today, we have many adjustable versions made using linear actuators that allow you to change the height of the desk to you need. As a result, you can decide whether you’ll be standing or sitting while working.
- Lowered risk of obesity
- Potentially lower blood sugar levels
- Decreased risk of heart disease
- Reduced back pain
- Improved energy levels
- A productivity boost
You probably know that prolonged sitting can potentially shorten your lifespan. That’s why modern office workers prefer using standing desks that help create movement throughout the day.
Simple Exercises to Do at Work While Standing
Every office worker wants to take measures to stay healthier. So there’s no need to postpone your workout. Let’s review the most effective exercises that might improve both your business and your state of health. Remember, they won’t take too much time because you’ll do these exercises while standing at work.
While not done standing, this is a superb way to begin your daily workout. Follow these directions:
- Sit upright and put your feet on the floor. Your knees should be at a right angle
- Now, you need to extend one leg (make sure your quads are contracted) and hold for three seconds
- Repeat three sets
This exercise will help warm up the muscles. So now, you can move on to more serious exercises.
Did you know that you can do abdominal exercises while at work? Your office chair is a perfect tool that will help you do this.
- Hold onto the edge of your desk (put your feet on the floor)
- Swivel from side to side
- Repeat this exercise up to 20 times
You can also do this exercise while standing at your desk
On your toes
Had a heavy lunch? and now you have to get back to work? try out these exercises at your standing desk to help improve your blood circulation, digestion and energy levels:
- Stand up and lift your heels off the floor. Now, try to stay in this position for at least three seconds. While you are staying in this position, try to contract the calf muscles
- Lower your heels slowly
- Repeat this standing desk exercise 15 times
If it seems easy for you, try to make it more complicated - do the same exercise standing on one leg.
When doing your standing desk workout, you can use absolutely any equipment. To do this, you need a chair. Follow these steps to get the most out of this exercise:
- Sit on the edge of the chair (put your legs in front of you).
- Put your hands behind the hips and hold to the edge of the seat.
- Start doing the dips; lower yourself and go back again.
Remember to keep your muscles firm and your neck and back firm.
If you want to have well-defined calves, you need to vary your standing desk workouts. One of the best ways to do this is to do calf raises:
- Raise your heels off the ground.
- Now, you need to hold this position for a few seconds and then lower the heels back down.
- Repeat this workout 10 times.
Stand up and bring one foot up to your backside. Hold for at least 5 seconds and then lower it. Do 10-15 reps and don’t forget to switch your legs. Thanks to this simple workout, you’ll be able to strengthen your hamstrings. They are more susceptible to different injuries, so you need to be more attentive to them.
You can do this exercise together with your colleagues. Take a short 10-minute break while working:
- Stand up and keep your feet parallel but hip-width apart.
- Now, step to the side, straighten your left leg and bend the right leg.
- Hold this position for at least five seconds.
- Return to a standing position.
- Do the same with the other leg.
Do 15-20 reps!
Of all the exercises to do at work while standing, this one is the most complicated. However, it will help strengthen your muscles and will definitely boost your productivity!
You will hardly find an office worker who has never experienced back pain. But this move will help release tension from your back. Stand up and stretch one arm across your chest. The other arm should be brought under and in front of it. Pull the arms closer to your chest and hold for a few seconds. Now, repeat the same with the other arm.
Put Your hands in the air
A simple and easy exercise to do while standing at your desk. So put away your business reports and stand up:
- Place your hands at shoulder height.
- Now, lift them above the head.
- If you want to add more resistance, you can use a small water bottle.
- Do at least 10-15 reps and 2-4 sets.
Standing desks are a superb solution for those who care about their state of health and don’t want to work in a sitting position for 8-10 hours per day. Read our other blog to learn more about how to get the most out of your standing desk.